What is the most recent discovery in astronomy? Astronomers have found a system of seven Earth-sized planets just 40 light-years away. Using ground and space telescopes, including ESO’s Very Large Telescope, the planets were all detected as they passed in front of their parent star, the ultracool dwarf star known as TRAPPIST-1.
What are some new discoveries in astronomy?
- Amateur astronomer discovers a new moon around Jupiter.
- NASA will return to Venus this decade.
- The sun is reawakening.
- James Webb Space Telescope flies into space.
- Event Horizon Telescope takes high-resolution image of black hole jet.
- Scientists spot the closest-known black hole to Earth.
What is the latest news in astronomy? New 3D cosmic map reveals 1 million previously hidden galaxies. Astronomers have created the largest ever 3D map of 1 million distant galaxies otherwise obscured by the Milky Way’s dwarf galaxy neighbors, the Magellanic Clouds.
What has been discovered in space recently? In 2018, astronomers discovered iron and titanium in a planet outside the solar system for the first time. KELT-9b, which was first discovered by a team led by astronomer Scott Gaudi of Ohio State University, is the hottest exoplanet yet to be discovered.