What is the astronomical calendar? A page from the “Calendars” exhibit
The principal astronomical cycles are the day (based on the rotation of the Earth on its axis), the year (based on the revolution of the Earth around the Sun), and the month (based on the revolution of the Moon around the Earth).
What is the rarest astronomical event?
- Lunar Eclipse of July 6, 1982.
- The Great Comet of 1882.
- Return of Halley’s Comet, 1910.
- Leonid Meteor Showers of November 17, 1966.
- The Great Meteoric Procession of 1913.
- The Northern Lights of 1989.
- The Crimson and Purple Twilights of 1883.
- The Blue Sun and Purple Moon of 1950.
What astronomical event will happen in 2022?
|August 12-13||Perseids Meteor Shower|
|August 14||Saturn at opposition|
|August 27||New Moon|
|August 27||Mercury at Greatest Eastern Elongation|
What astronomical event will happen in 2029?
|2029||NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft is scheduled to leave the Solar System.|
|2029 April 13||Near-Earth asteroid (99942) Apophis will pass Earth at a relatively small distance of 31,200 kilometres (19,400 mi) above Earth’s surface, closer than some geosynchronous satellites.|