How do you explain Mars to kids? Mars is the fourth planet from the sun. It is a terrestrial planet which means that like Earth it has a hard, rocky surface you can walk on. Mars is called the Red Planet because of all the iron in the soil. This iron rusts and as a result, makes the surface and atmosphere look red.
What are 5 fun facts about Mars?
- Mars Had Water In The Ancient Past:
- Mars Has Frozen Water Today:
- Mars Used To Have A Thicker Atmosphere:
- Mars Has Some Extreme Highs And Lows In Terrain:
- Mars Has Two Moons – And One Of Them Is Doomed:
- We Have Pieces Of Mars On Earth:
- Mars Would Kill An Unprotected Astronaut Quickly:
What does Mars look like kids? Mars is the 4th planet from the sun. It is a terrestrial planet which means that it has a hard rocky surface that you could walk on. Mars’ surface is dry and much of it is covered with a reddish dust and rocks. When viewed from Earth, Mars appears to be the color red.
How is Mars different from Earth kids? Mars is around two times smaller than Earth. It has a diameter of 6.779 km / 4.212 mi. Mars is around 10 times less massive than Earth. Mars is the outermost terrestrial planet, outside Earth’s orbit.